The Great Business Pitch – Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Microsoft The Great Business Pitch (the “Contest”) is open only to individuals who have a proposal for a new business or a small business (“Small Business” is defined below). Individuals must legally reside and Small Businesses must be located in and primarily operate in the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico), Australia or Canada (excluding Quebec) at the time of entry. For Small Business entrants, an individual who is an owner must enter the Contest on behalf of the Small Business; the Small Business, however, is the entrant.
Small Business must be currently active, lawful, have all necessary and required licenses and registrations and have no more than ten (10) full-time permanent employees and have been in business for no more than five (5) years as of the start of the Promotion.
Employees of Microsoft Corporation and any of their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void in Quebec and where prohibited.
NOTE: Residents of Canada and Australia must have a valid passport (and visa) to travel to Florida June 12 – 14, 2018
2. Sponsor: Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052-6399. Administrator: HelloWorld, Inc., 3000 Town Center, Floor 21, Southfield, MI 48075.
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in this Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s and Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Timing: The Contest begins on April 23, 2018, at 9:00 a.m. local time and ends on May 23, 2018, at 10:00 p.m. local time (the "Contest Period") and is open during the business hours of each of the Microsoft Stores located in the United States, Puerto Rico, Australia and Canada through the Contest Period. Sponsor's computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Submit a Video Entry: During the Contest Period, visit a Microsoft Store. Find the Microsoft Surface Hub or Surface Studio (for the Great Business Pitch) and follow the directions to create a video recording (no longer than 90 seconds) of your elevator pitch that describes your proposed new or existing business for an innovative product or service. Your video may include others so long as you have their permission. The individual who completes the rest of the entry process, including the entry form, will be deemed the entrant.
After you complete your video recording, the Surface Hub will display a 4-digit alphanumeric code. An in-store Brand Ambassador will provide you with a Microsoft Surface device to register the video recording for consideration in the Contest. Enter the code from the Great Business Pitch Machine and your personal information to complete the entry process. If you do not submit the code and personal information on the Microsoft Surface device within two (2) hours of creating the video recording, the video recording will not be retained or considered.
Video Content Guidelines and Restrictions: By completing the entry process, you agree that your video recording of your Pitch submitted through the Great Business Pitch Machine at a Microsoft Store (your “Submission”) conforms to the guidelines, permissions, and content restrictions below and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify you if Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that your Submission fails to conform.
- The Submission must not exceed 90 seconds; and
- The Submission must be in English.
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
- The Submission must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party;
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, or libelous;
- The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age; and
- The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where Submission is created.
- Limit: Each entrant may enter one (1) Submission for consideration during the Contest Period. If entrant’s Submission is rejected or disqualified for any reason, entrant may return to the Microsoft Store to create and enter another Submission. Submissions received from any person or email address in excess of the stated limit will be void. Submissions generated by script, macro, or other automated means are void. In the event of a dispute as to any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each entrant may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder. Released Parties (as defined in Section 9, below) are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed, or misdirected Submissions; all of which will be void.
- Intellectual Property: Entrant represents that he or she owns or has the right to use all intellectual property, if any, included in the Submission, and has the right to grant the license set forth in paragraph E below. Sponsor does not claim ownership of your Submission. At all times during and after the Contest, entrants retain any intellectual property rights they may have that are contained in their Submissions. The protection of such intellectual property is the sole responsibility of the entrant.
- Not a contract or offer of employment/Confidentiality: This is a Contest for prizes only and NOT A CONTRACT OR OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT. Entrant acknowledges that Submission is submitted voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Entrant acknowledges that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between entrant and Sponsor or any of the released parties and that no such relationship is established by submission of any Submission.
- Sponsor's Use of Submissions: Sponsor does not intend to publicize Submissions, other than those of the winners. By acceptance of any prize, winners acknowledges that Microsoft has a , non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, potential winner will sign any documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Submission.
6. Winner Determination: During the Contest Period, visit a Microsoft Store. Find the Microsoft Surface Hub or Surface Studio (for the Great Business Pitch) and follow the directions to create a video recording (no longer than 90 seconds) of your elevator pitch that describes your proposed new or existing business for an innovative product or service. Your video may include others so long as you have their permission. The individual who completes the rest of the entry process, including the entry form, will be deemed the entrant.
Determination of Finalists: A panel of judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will select the five (5) entrants with the highest-scoring Submissions (the "Finalists") from among all eligible Submissions based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
- Proposed product or service is innovative either by creating a new category or products/services or meaningfully distinguishing itself from existing products/services (30%);
- Proposed product or service is innovative in its use of technology (30%);
- Proposed product or service has a clear target audience that solves a problem for the target audience (20%); and
- Submission demonstrates that the proposed business is feasible (20%)
In the event of a tie, the entrant whose Submission received the highest score for Proposed product or service is innovative in its use of technology (30%), as determined by the qualified judges, in their sole discretion, will be deemed the applicable Finalist from among the tied entrants. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than five (5) Submissions. The Sponsor's decision in all matters related to the Contest is final and binding. This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in the determination of the winners.
Determination of Grand Prize Winner:
Each Finalist will be invited to attend a final event in Miami, FL where it will have the opportunity to present their business pitch to a panel of judges, including Kevin Harrington (“Final Event”). All details regarding the Final Event, including but not limited to: (1) times and locations of the Final Event, (2) time permitted for final presentation to the live judging panel, (3) requirements and restrictions about the live presentation and any supporting documentation that must be submitted prior to the presentation, (4) questions from the judging panel, and (5) judging criteria and process that will be employed by the live panel will be provided to confirmed Finalists by email from the Sponsor. The Final Event will be filmed. Sponsor will own this “Prize Footage” and may use it as set forth in Section 11.
7. Winner Requirements: Potential Finalists will be notified by email and/or phone on May 29, 2018. Each potential Finalist (parent/legal guardian if recipient is minor in his/her place of residence) will be required to sign and return a Declaration of Compliance, Liability Waiver, and, where not prohibited, a Publicity Release ("Declaration"), which must be received by Administrator within two (2) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, in order to claim the Finalist Prize. If a potential Finalist cannot be contacted, or fails to execute and return the Declaration and any other required documents within the required time period, the potential Finalist forfeits the prize. If a potential Finalist is disqualified for any reason, the Finalist Prize may be awarded to a runner-up, if any, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Up to two (2) alternate Finalist may be determined time permitting, after which the applicable Finalist Prize will not be awarded. After the conclusion of the Final Event, the selected Grand Prize winner will be required to complete an additional prize acceptance document.
8. Prizes: ONE (1) GRAND PRIZE: A check for $20,000 USD, a Microsoft Surface laptop (i7 processor) (valued at $1,599 USD), and the opportunity to have a one hour Skype consultation with Kevin Harrington (valued at $10,000 USD). Date and time of the consultation will be determined based on a mutually agreed upon time, considering the availability of Mr. Harrington; Consultation must take place no later than July 30, 2018. Grand Prize winner will also receive all aspects of the Finalist Prize, except for the Microsoft Surface laptop listed below. Total approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the entire prize package (including the Finalist Prize) is 36,299 USD (or approximately $46,111 CAD). If the Grand Prize winner is from Australia, the total prize package is valued at approximately $52,500 AUD.
FIVE (5) FINALIST PRIZES: Each Finalist will receive a trip for two (2) to Miami, FL to participate in the final event on June 13, 2018, a Microsoft Surface laptop (i5 processor) (valued at $999 USD), and a half-hour Skype consultation with Microsoft representatives. Date and time of the consultations will be determined based on a mutually agreed upon time, considering the availability of Sponsor’s representatives; Consultation must take place no later than July 30, 2018. ARV of the finalist prize is: $5,699 USD (or approximately $7,240 CAD). If Finalists is an Australian resident, the ARV of the Finalist prize is $13,445AUD
Trip package includes round trip, coach-class (or, as applicable, economy class) air transportation for two (2) from a major airport near winner’s home (determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) to Miami, Florida, USA; two (2) nights' accommodations at a hotel determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion (single room, double occupancy); ground transportation to and from destination airport and hotel; $400 USD spending money; and travel agent services. Winner must travel June 12 – 14, 2018 or Finalist Prize will be forfeited. Winners are obligated to work with Sponsor’s travel agent to book trip immediately upon winner confirmation. Travel and accommodations are subject to availability. Travel must be round trip. Sponsor will determine airline and flight itinerary in its sole discretion. No refund or compensation will be made in the event of the cancellation or delay of any flight. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Contest, and those set forth by the Sponsor’s airline carrier of choice as detailed in the passenger ticket contract. All expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated in the package description above, including but not limited to, ground transportation, meals, incidentals, gratuities, passenger tariffs or duties, airline fees, surcharges, airport fees, service charges or facility charges, personal charges at lodging, security fees, taxes or other expenses are the responsibility solely of winner. Unless child of winner, travel companion must be eighteen (18) years of age or older as of the date of departure and must travel on same itinerary and at the same time as the winner. If winner is a minor in his/her state of residence, travel companion must be winner’s parent/legal guardian. Travel companion must execute liability/publicity releases prior to issuance of travel documents. Winner and travel companions are solely responsible for obtaining valid passports and any other documents necessary for international travel. Travel restrictions, conditions and limitations may apply. If in the judgment of Sponsor air travel is not required due to winner’s proximity to prize location, ground transportation will be substituted for round trip air travel at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. ARV of the trip is $4,700 USD (or approximately $5,970 CAD). The ARV of the trip, if awarded to a resident of Australia is $12,200 AUD. Actual value may vary based on airfare fluctuations, distance between departure and destination, and currency exchange rate fluctuations. Winner will not receive difference between actual and approximate retail value.
For All Prizes: Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Except where timing has been stated above, prizes will be fulfilled 8–10 weeks after the end of the Contest. LIMIT: One (1) Finalist Prize per entrant.
9. Taxes: Winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. If a Finalist is a resident of the United States, Sponsor will provide an additional check for $2,440 USD; if the Grand Prize winner is a resident of the United States, Sponsor will provide an additional check for $15,555 USD (herein “Tax Payment”). Additional checks are intended to assist winners with the tax liability. The actual tax liabilities for each winner could exceed the Tax Payment. Winners will receive an IRS form 1099 reflecting the total value of all prizes received.
10. Release: By receipt of any prize, each winner and/or prize recipient agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, Administrator, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, including any related travel.
11. Publicity: By receipt of any prize, each winner and/or prize recipient agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, Administrator, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, including any related travel.
12. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend, and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error, or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine the winners from among all non-suspect, eligible Submissions received up to time of such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Submission process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Submissions. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
13. Limitations of Liability: To the extent permitted by applicable law, Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, typographical, or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software or power outage; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Contest; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network, or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing, or judging of Submissions, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials; (5) misdirected or undeliverable Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof; (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize (including any travel/activity related thereto); (7) any claims for compensation or for violation of intellectual properties rights resulting from a claim that its Submission is similar or identical to or competitive with technologies or products independently developed by Sponsor or received by Sponsor from third parties, including but not limited to from other entrants; or (8) any claims stemming from any unauthorized use by third parties of intellectual property contained in any Submissions.
14. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Southern Division) or the appropriate Michigan State Court located in Oakland County, Michigan; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.
If the entrant is a resident of Australia, that entrant agrees that the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of New South Wales.
15. Entrant's Personal Information: Information collected from entrant will be used by Sponsor and Administrator to administer the Contest and is subject to Sponsor’s privacy notice available at: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=521839.
16. In Australia: These terms and conditions do not, nor do they purport to, limit, exclude or modify any non-excludable statutory guarantees provided under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), or any other warranties (whether express or implied) under any state or federal legislation which cannot be excluded.
17. Winner List: For a winner list, visit http://bit.ly/2JTgExm. The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete.
© 2018 HelloWorld, Inc. All rights reserved.